The Big Bang Theory: The Pirate Solution


Recently, I've been getting very into The Big Bang Theory, and catching up on old episodes. There are loads of Classical references peppered throughout the show, mostly involving Sheldon showing off how clever he is by boring everyone else with Classical trivia. This includes everything from actually relevant things like the Greek origin of the word 'physics', to his suggestion that the custom of toasting comes from a Roman custom involving dipping burnt bread into drinks (I have no idea whether that's true or not!). Then there's Howard's dirty dreams that apparently involve him being a horse from the waist down and are probably best not thought about...


The clip I wanted to post on doesn't actually have anything to do with Classics though. This clip comes from series 3, episode 4, in which Raj is forced to work with Sheldon or face deportation.



I love it because this is exactly what non-practical research is like! Just replace the whiteboards with copies of Greek and Latin texts. This is why the archaeologists are the ones who get movies made about them.

Comments

  1. Near as I can figure it, they got the etymology of toast half right. It does come from a habit of dipping spiced toast in wine, but it wasn't the Romans. The earliest known use of the word is from 1700, but Steele says the practice goes back to the reign of Charles II. So, somewhere in post-Restoration Stuart era. Supposedly, lifting your glass to a beautiful woman spiced the drink just like dipping spiced toast in it.

    Definitely not the Romans, but then the guys who produce The Big Bang are actually mathematicians and physicists, not etymologists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Big Bang Theory. This "thinking-montage" to Rocky-esque music is pure genius! Thanks for adding it to all the other shows we love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm completely obsessed at the moment! Closest to my life on TV - just a shame they hate the Humanities (though Sheldon's 'Oh the Humanities' comment was hilarious!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm watching one of the episodes with Leonard's mother, and realising that she hasn't met Amy yet. That should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Leonard's mother, though not as much as I love Sheldon's mother. Sheldon's mother is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I love this show! Guaranteed laughs each week! Can't wait for the next dose of "Evil" Will Wheton this week! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Will Wheaton - reading his blog was partly was persuaded me to give The Big Bang Theory a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment